Joe and Nancy

Joe and Nancy
Our Home on Wheels (Click on image above for our web albums.)

Friday, April 22, 2011

Shafer/Potash Roads, Moab, UT Jeep Ride

The road looks pretty tame here, and in fact it was.  However, the road to this point was stunning.  The switchbacks went along a sheer canyon cliff that was several hundred feet, straight down, and some parts of the road were wide enough for only one Jeep.  Quite frankly, I was a little intimidated.  I guess I could get used to it though.  The scenery was spectacular!



I was rather worried about the bikes and the rack on the back.  In reality, I should have taken them off before this ride.  They took a beating.  My mistake.  Nancy's back can't take a lot of lateral sudden movements that a Jeep ride on rough roads can experience, so, I do a lot of creeping & crawling.  But it still is a rough ride.  So invigorating!  :-))


Slickrock!  In Moab, that's where Jeeps go, period!  Seriously, almost all of the Jeep roads in the area contain varying amounts of traversing over this favorite of the OHVer's.  It is fun, but some of the roads are very challenging.  I'll stick to the 3 & 4 rated roads and leave the 5's and up for the big boys.  I don't plan on spending more that I did for a stock Sahara Unlimited.


The scenery down here in the valleys looks different than it does a thousand feet up there on the rims.  And when you're down here, you can just stop just about anywhere and take it all in.  It is so therapeutic.


The mighty Colorado!

See the Native American?




You Jeep owners out there know this already:  We are learning that you can see so much more in a Jeep! 


See George Washington?


The views of the Colorado along this Jeep road were just wonderful.  We stopped many times to just relax and take it all in.  We could here the rapids at times it was so quiet and peaceful down this road, except for the occasional other Jeeps on this road. 



We found out after we arrived in Moab that it was the annual Moab Jeep Jamboree.  I found out later that there were approximately 1500 Jeeps and 4000 visitors to the town.  We saw some pretty unbelievable Jeeps.  I can't imagine how much money some of these folks spend on their rides.  The above pic shows the La Sal Mountains off in the distance, about 45 miles away.

I zoomed out about 300mm to get this photo of the La Sal Mountain Range.


Nancy and I found this Jeep ride to be exhilarating and relaxing, and to me, a little challenging.  Would I do it again?  You bet I would.  And maybe next year when we return during Jamboree week.  So, if you're fortunate enough to ever land in Moab, whether it's Jamboree Week or not, and you own a Jeep, you'll want to spend a month.  There are a lot of trails here and the Red Rock 4-Wheelers will make sure you have a great time.  Well, guess I have rambled on enough for now.  But before I do, I want again to say how much I feel for Al & Kelly over at the Bayfield Bunch, my good friends from Bayfield, Ontario.  I know they are hurting as they lost a member of their family, their beloved Checkers.  I feel their pain as I have to put down a couple of Beagles that were like children.  It's tough.  Al & Kelly, we are all there with you.  This blog is dedicated to Checkers!  Till next time, Joe & Nancy.

2 comments:

  1. what a great jeeping day you both had!..and a great dedication to Checkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt we could have made that great trip with our Saturn Vue :(

    ReplyDelete